I have been on such a Mediterranean kick lately. I love everything about the flavors. Feta, Dill, lemon, red onion, cucumber. All of the flavors are so fresh and versatile and that’s every cooks dream. I always have most of the ingredients in my fridge so it was only a matter of time before I came up with this recipe.
I’ve been staying away from red meat. It’s like all at once, the whole world started to shun red meat. I guess you can say I hopped on the bandwagon but I was never big on meat in the first place. I always prefer chicken over meat (unless I’m at a steakhouse, of course). I basically had leftover lemons, dill and cucumbers from a catering order so I picked up chicken breasts and got to work. I knew I wanted the breasts sautéed and not baked so I got my stainless steel pan out and got to work. I got all of my fresh ingredients out and prepped and realized I wanted a slightly creamy sauce so I got my heavy cream out. If you are sticking to low calorie, then keep the cream out. You could add low fat milk or none at all and just stick to the lemon butter sauce.
This dish has tons of basic steps that can help any beginner cook get more comfortable. From prepping to making a simple cream sauce, it’s a great way to experiment. And to top it all off, it takes 30 minutes to prepare and cook. You can serve it with rice or pasta or just have it with a vegetable. I had it with a small amount of long grain rice and asparagus.
Serves 4-6 people
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut in half and pounded out to 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- Feta cheese for garnish
- 1 tsp each of salt, pepper and onion powder
- In allege mixing bowl, add your chicken and season with your salt, pepper and onion powder. Coat evenly
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tbsp of your butter and sauté your chicken until browned and fully cooked. Roughly 3 minutes per side.
- Once cooked, remove and set aside. Reduce the heat to medium low and add your remaining butter and cook your shallots and garlic until fragrant. Add your chicken stock and deglaze the pan (take all of the brown bits off the bottom of the pan). Add your heavy cream the. Increase heat to medium high and bring sauce to a simmer and slightly thicken.
- Add back in your chicken and cook an additional ten minutes on medium heat. Taste for seasoning adjustments
- Turn the heat off and add your fresh dill and lemon juice
- Serve and garnish with fresh crumbled feta