My first recipe of the year! 2017 was a year full of growth and learning in the kitchen for me so I’m excited to share new and exciting recipes. It’s that time of the year where I don’t leave the house for anything other than work. With temperatures in the single digits, my happy place is in my kitchen with a glass of wine and fresh ingredients waiting to be used.
For anyone keeping up with my posts, I work with my boyfriend at his restaurant Edie’s Eatery. We are constantly changing the menu and adapting to the season. This season we’ve been cracking down on soups. Everyone loves a warm bowl of hearty soup so I’ve been experimenting left and right. We have the classic chicken noodle soup and a broccoli cheddar, but I wanted something a little more hearty with lots of flavor. That’s where this soup came from. I had extra tortellini and ground sausage was on sale so I picked up some fresh spinach and a can of fire roasted tomatoes and this dreamy soup was born.
I used spicy sausage because I’ll never turn down some heat, but this recipe can be made with mild or regular sausage to fit your preference. To stay true to the recipe, I recommend you use the spicy sausage because the heavy cream and acidity from the tomatoes really cut down the spice to the perfect amount. You can also use regular diced tomatoes but every grocery store has fire roasted tomatoes and it adds a new depths of flavor.
What You Need..
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs of hot Italian sausage (ground, not in the skin)
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 28oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 32oz container of chicken stock
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1 9oz container cheese tortellini
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- *parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a large soup pot over medium high, heat your olive oil and sauté your onions until translucent.
- Add your ground sausage and garlic and cook until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Add your fire roasted tomatoes, vegetable stock, heavy cream, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook an additional 20 mins
- Add your tortellini and spinach and cook until pasta is fully cooked through. Roughly 4-8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, serve and garnish!