My boyfriend loves pizza. I know everyone loves pizza, but he really loves pizza and I’m not a huge fan. I enjoy a slice every once in a while but not as much as he does so I always have to order another option that pizzarias usually have. Chicken gyros have been my go to. I like lamb gyros but I’m picky about where I order them from so I usually just go with the chicken. I absolutely positively love tatziki sauce and the process of making it is so easy and the shelf life of the sauce is perfect to keep on hand.
I love eating Mediterranean food but was never comfortable making it because I was unfamiliar with how to prepare them. That is until I did what I do best and taught myself the flavors and dishes. Now I can make tatziki with my eyes closed and the flavors are all too familiar. Seasoning the chicken is a lot easier than you would imagine. There’s nothing out of the ordinary and you most likely have the spices already. There are so many flavors and texture in the gyro.
The most important part of this recipe is to grill the chicken if you can. It makes a major difference in flavor and pan cooking the chicken alters the flavor. If cooking it in a pan is your only option then go for it. I used a stove top grill which works just as fine.
Ingredients: (for 4-6 servings)
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 pocketless pitas
- 3 plum tomatoes sliced
- Mixed greens
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
For tzatziki sauce:
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled & seeded. Dry to take excess water
- 1 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper
*put everything in a nutribullet or blender and mix
- In a large mixing bowl, add your chicken thighs, olive oil and seasoning. Evenly coat all your pieces.
- On a stove top grill or grill pan, cook your chicken over medium high heat. Don’t add oil directly to the hot grill or it will get too hot and burn the chicken. Cook 2-3 minutes on the first side and 1-2 on the other side or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Warm your pitas in the microwave or oven for a few minutes.
- Assemble your gyros and enjoy!