Last week I posted my Tuscan Shrimp Pasta and got a bunch of feedback about the shrimp. I really don’t share enough seafood recipes so when I was planning my next set of blog posts, I thought of shrimp. Shrimp in a salad turns people off for some reason. We’re familiar with shrimp in pastas or some kind of hearty dish.
Salad tops the list of my favorite things to eat. I always have fresh produce and healthy salads with my meals or add protein and completely replace the meal with it. It’s light and refreshing and can really be made with whatever you like. I always like tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions in my salad. That trio of flavors is always a must for me.
Grilled shrimp is the star of this dish. It’s so simple and light but adds the right amount of substance to the dish. Grilled chicken is always good but it’s nice to switch it up every once in a while. I prefer buying fresh shrimp the day of to make sure everything is fresh and ready to cook. You can certainly use shrimp that was frozen and thawed out but make sure you make it right away.
Ingredients: For 4 salad
- 1/2 lb of jumbo shrimp, can be already cooked or uncooked and prepared accordingly
- 1 tsp each of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Mixed spring greens
- 1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 medium cucumber diced
- 1 avocado
- In a medium bowl, mix your cherry tomatoes, cucumber and red onion together. Add your lemon juice (a little dash of salt and pepper) and let sit while you cook your shrimp
- In a separate medium bowl, add your shrimp and all of your seasoning. Add your olive oil and evenly coat the shrimp
- Heat a stove top griddle or grill pan over medium high heat and place your shrimp on. Cook about 2 minutes on each side
- Let shrimp cook and assemble your salads. Garnish with avocado and your favorite dressing. I used an avocado ranch dressing