I went to Jamaica over a year ago and my favorite part was the food. The beaches were beautiful, the resort was flawless, the bottomless drinks were perfect. Everything was amazing but nothing beat the food. I remember sitting in the plane on the way over and literally day dreaming about jerk chicken and beef patties. Where I live, good jerk chicken is hard to find unless someones momma makes it with her classic family recipe. Unfortunately, I don’t personally know anyone that can make it just right so I had to get creative and make my own.
You should already know by now that I never buy store bought seasoning packets. I always make my own mixtures in bulk and save them in jars or give them to friends. Do not be intimidated by making your own seasoning mixtures. 9 times out of 10, you already have a majority, if not all, of the spices on hand already. Jerk seasoning has onion powder, garlic powder, cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, crushed red pepper, thyme, oregano, and a little bit of sugar. Nothing too crazy, right?
MAJOR DISCLAIMER, if you do not like spicy food then this is not for you. This spice recipe will be more than enough for the meat required in the recipe so you can just save it in a mason jar or empty spice container.
- 2 tsp each of cayenne pepper, onion powder,dried parsley, dried thyme, and salt
- 1 tsp each of sugar, paprika, all spice and black pepper
- 1/2 tsp each of crushed red pepper and nutmeg
For 2 servings (5 wings each):
- 10-12 full wings, cut down to separate the drumstick from the wing
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
- Season your wings with salt and pepper evenly.
- Add your wings to a large mixing bowl with your oil and evenly coat.
- Add in your spice mixture to the bowl and evenly coat your wings with the mixture
- Transfer to your baking dish and bake for 15 mins. Flip your wings over and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until your chicken is fully cooked.