When a good friend is in town, it’s only right you make drinks. One of my best friends Sandra came to town last week and the fact that it was a Wednesday did not stop us from indulging in a nice cocktail. I’ve never posted a cocktail on this blog so this is an exciting first.
I used to stray away from mojitos. I’m not a huge fan of mint in my food but I can deal with it in my drink. We used some homegrown mint from her parents house which made it that much better. As much as I love my wine, it was nice to change it up. I was never a hard liquor drinker so I almost always stick to some kind of a mixed drink. Shots on special occasions only (like a Wednesday).
Now I can’t lie to you guys. I didn’t actually make the first drink by myself. Sandra’s brother is a bartender and way better at drinks than I am so he walked me through it. I’m usually not a rum drinker but once you add the club soda and fresh fruit, it really kills the harsh flavor. That could be a good and bad thing.
- 1 cup of sliced strawberries
- Mint leaves (vary according to how much you like)
- 1 tsp simple syrup
- 1 lime slices into wedges
- 4 ounces of light rum ( 2oz each drink)
- Club soda
- Extra strawberries and lines for garnish
- In a mixer, muddle your strawberries and mint together to get the flavors out. Add your simple syrup. You can use a spoon if you don’t have a muddler
- Split mixture evenly amongst 2 glasses. Add ice and 2 ounces each of rum. Top with club soda and garnish with berries and lime.
*muddle simply means to smoosh your ingredients to get the juices or flavors out