If you’ve ever made Alfredo sauce from scratch then you may or may not have been totally turned off of the sauce. All of the butter and heavy cream may taste good but it’s hard to enjoy it when you can literally feel your waistline expanding with every bite. I attempted to make a creamy sauce that didn’t have so much butter and heavy cream and made this baby. There’s still cheese and cream because that’s where the flavor is but it’s done in moderation.
This is also another 30 minute meal. You could add protein or veggies and make it a fuller meal or make this quick version as a side dish. I added chopped spinach for more substance and paired it with a grilled garlic chicken. You can get creative and add roasted peppers, tomatoes, chicken etc…just another recipe that you can make your own! This is what food is all about people!
- 1 pound of tortellini
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup of shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper and 1 tsp onion powder
- Prepare your tortellini according to the package
- While your tortellini is cooking, prepare your sauce. In a medium sauce pan over medium low heat, add your butter and garlic. Cook for a minute then whisk in flour until you make a “roux” or paste like mixture. Then higher your flame to medium high and add your heavy cream and mix for about 5 minutes to let the mixture thicken. Add your cheese 1/2 cup at a time until the mixture is nice and smooth. Add your spinach at the last minute and give it a stir.
- Drain your tortellini and immediately toss it in your sauce and serve!
How I Served It
I served this tortellini with a simple pan grilled chicken with simple seasoning and garlic. I did not want to over power the tortellini so I kept the flavors simple with the chicken.