Everyone has their favorite childhood dishes. I have an extra long list of favorites but one that always tops the list is Shepherd’s pie. It instantly brings me back to sitting at the dinner table with my siblings doing everything but eating. The way my mom would make it in under 30 minutes after a long day of practices and school concerts reminds me that life happens every day and we need quick meals.
- 1 1/2 lbs of lean ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into small circles
- 2 cups chopped green beans
- 1 can corn
- 1 small bag of frozen peas (cheating because peas are a nuisance)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp each of onion powder, garlic powder, ground black pepper and salt. may need to add more salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Chives for garnish
Please feel free to use a bag of frozen mixed veggies! Even quicker
For the mashed potatoes, follow your favorite recipe or this quick recipe!
- Cube 5-7 medium golden potatoes (skin off or on) and add them to a pot of boiling water. Cook until potatoes are fully cooked, drain and return back to pot. Add 4 tbsp butter and 1/4 cup of milk. Add 1 tsp salt, pepper and onion powder and mash until desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, add your olive oil and heat over medium high. Add your onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add all of your vegetables and reduce heat to medium. Cook roughly 4 minutes.
- Add your ground beef and all of your seasonings. Mix well and cook until meat is fully cooked. Once meat is cooked, sprinkle cornstarch over the meat and mix. Cook 2-4 minutes.
- Add beef stock and Worcestershire sauce and cook until mixture thickens. Usually 5-6 minutes. Tate for any season adjustments.
- Transfer to a casserole dish for the oven. Top with your mashed potatoes and bake for 30-40 minutes. Once it’s done baking, sprinkle fresh chives on top and let sit for 10 minutes or so to settle.