Crab cakes have been put in the “hard to make” category by many people but I promise they aren’t half as difficult as you may think. If you can get your hands on fresh lump crab meat you’re half way there because the rest of the ingredients are either already in your pantry or can be found in the grocery store easily. They are a little pricey but certainly worth the little splurge. Today is Valentine’s Day so it’s only right I share my crab cake recipe. Crab has been on sale all week so I stocked up to make some and freeze them.
You can go about this one of two ways. Make crab legs and get the meat out yourself or save yourself a major headache and buy lump crab meat. I got my crab meat from a seafood shop and it cost a few extra bucks but certainly worth the trouble. Take your pick! Most grocery stores have lump crab meat sold by the pound in their seafood department so just look around.
MAJOR TIP* if the crab meat says “krab” meat then it is fake. Imitation crab is the scraps of the seafood world where they grind up all the extra seafood and turn it into fake crab. Try your hardest to avoid that. Spend the few extra bucks cause it’s so worth it.
What do you need? Serves 4
- 1 lb of lump crab meat
- 2 tbsp Mayo
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1 celery stalk chopped as fine as you can
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp each of salt, pepper and onion powder
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your mayo, egg, mustard, seasonings, celery and parsley.
- Once all of that is mixed, add your crab meat and Panko. Fold gently and try not to crush your crab meat because it is very delicate.
- Form into 4-6 patties, wrap its plastic wrap and set in the fridge for an hour or so. The crab and mayo need to sit before you cook or they will fall apart!
- Lightly coat a baking dish with oil or non stick spray and place your cakes on the baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes depending how crispy you like them. Sprinkle with a little old bay and serve!