I recently sat down with a close friend and talked about what inspired me. How did I decide what to make every day? The answer as quite simple. I am constantly inspired by something or someone. Something as simple as an aroma coming from a little cafe or a magazine article I read in the Food Network Magazine. I am always filling my brain with things I am interested in, naturally, and all of those things someway relate to food.
I was making these Asian Tacos and she just loved them Beside my boyfriend, my best friend michelle gets to try just about everything before I even post things. She is a super picky eater so it’s always satisfying to see her try something I made for the first time and absolutely love it. This week happened to be these Asian tacos. I love pork. A lot of people have their opinions of pork but I honestly love it. So unlike most Asian dishes, I decided to use pork. If you are against pork, choose chicken or beef instead.
The slow cooker is my other best friend. Always there when I need life to be a little easier. This pork is cooked in the slow cooker and ALL ready for you when you get home. All you have to do is warm your tortillas and you’re good to go.
Slow cooking the pork…
- 3-4 lbs of pork butt (or pork shoulder, they’re the same thing!)
- rub both sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add 1/2 cup of low sodium soy sauce to keep things moist. cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8. The pork will fall apart when it’s time.
- BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup of hoisin sauce (can be found at any grocery store with Asian food)
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Mix everything together in a small bowl and pour into your slow cooker when pork is done and shredded and cook an additional 20-30 minutes. Serve immediately.
- corn tortillas
- Asian Slaw or Cucumber Salad coming soon :))